No, but I can make a shoe smell.
Hey guys,
Anybody know if James Gadson is the drummer playing with Bill Withers on "Ain't No Sunshine" from the Old Grey Whistle Test DVD?
What a great half time 16note groove which I know Gadson is know for.
CB
No, but I can make a shoe smell.
Nice Ben. Hey, when are you due back in Boys Town?
Now I know why tigers eat their young.
CB
James Gadsen had a great feel
behind the kit! Great drummer!
PHAT!
[img]cool.gif[/img]
Yes, James is THE MAN!!! I'm pretty sure that is him on that Bill Withers track. He played on Bill's classic album "Still Bill", which has the tracks "Use Me", "Lean On Me", and "Kissing My Love". VASTLY underrated drummer, one of the all time greats.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah I agree !!!Originally posted by funkydrummer:
VASTLY underrated drummer, one of the all time greats.
I'm really fan of James Gadson and in the same way Ed Green too.
Randy must know about these Guys, Randy where are you ? :-)
Peace.
Yeah,
I think it might be James on the original recording but I was wondering about the DVD performance. The Old Grey Whistle Test was a music performance TV show from England. There is a compilation DVD out with many different performances from the show. The guy playing live on Ain't No Sunshine lays down a mean 1/2 time 16th note groove. I haven't seen many pictures of Gadson from back in the day to know if it is him or not.
CB
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have to admit, that little "volley" was hilariously bizarre [perhaps unintentionally]!Originally posted by benrand / CBrady:
No, but I can make a shoe smell. /
Nice Ben. Hey, when are you due back in Boys Town?
Now I know why tigers eat their young.
CB
When i 1st read BR's remark, i was like, [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img] ...but then aft reading the whole thread, i went back & read that again & was like WTF?! [img]tongue.gif[/img] , because it was just so whacked, & off the wall timing-wise! In a little mood, there, Rand? ]%oP
Now, Virgil DONATI can make a searyas* shoe smell. {;0P
--------
That's interesting. I hadn't heard of that partic show/DVD.
Ditto on Gadson & Greene. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]
Jeff wasn't too bad at this type of groove either. ;o)
Gadd, Ersk, Marotta, Purdie, Keltner, Gordon, Londin [& perhaps Blaine & DeVitto] could all nail it too, to name a few of the more "popular." Most great drumrs can. But those guys could make it feeel sooo goood. Karl Denson & Tiny Universe's drumr John Staten nailed it live also.
I'd like to know whom it was also, now that you've mentioned it. [img]cool.gif[/img]
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ August 26, 2005 02:38 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>
ed greene and gadson, killer grooves right there.
Jim Keltner and Jim Gordon are the 2 for me though next 2 Jeff and Carlos.
Gordon's groove on Here At The Western World by Steely Dan is so phat and the space left during those odd breaks. [img]wink.gif[/img]
Bookmarks